Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Treasure Hour

Here's a partial list of actions that various authorities have recommended I do first thing in the morning:


  • Meditate
  • Check blood sugar
  • Drink a quart of water
  • Write down my dreams
  • Write a morning pages brain dump
  • Practice yoga or stretch
  • Visualize a safe zone
  • Practice gratitude
  • Drink water with lemon or vinegar
  • Make the bed
  • Eat 
  • Fast
  • Sing
  • Step into the sunlight
  • Blog
  • Work on a book
  • Check my to-do list
  • Write my to-do list
  • Look myself in the eyes in the mirror and say, "I love you."


My cats, of course, think my first action should be to feed them.

Only one action can be my first. The high competition among the possibilities suggests there is a lot of power in that first action. It's the one most likely to happen. It comes when I have willpower available and it sets the tone for the day. I have chosen several of these and continued them for months or years – sometimes, I've even set up a series of first actions arranged into a morning routine and continued that an extended period without a break.

I broke the string of my daily first actions when we moved. Since then, I haven't re-established a consistent first-in-the-morning priority. I do better when I have one. The feeling of accomplishment, and the molding of my life into a chosen form, gives me a boost. I start each day as a success, and that helps in many ways, some more obvious than others.

At this point, it seems rude to me for anyone else to decide what I do with that treasured first hour of my morning. I've heard a lot of arguments for competing priorities. Now it's mine to judge and feel my way into the choice that is best for me.

So I offer the same consideration to you. It may improve your life to choose and stick to one practice as the first action of the morning. To keep it for one week is a good foot in the water and for three months is a very solid trial.

What would you like to be the first thing you do each morning?

No comments: