Thursday, April 16, 2020

Thirty Next Sentences: A Writing Exercise

I've been thinking about how in a conversation, there are actually many paths leading from each sentence.

Combine that with an idea from Lois McMaster Bujold that she may throw away her first three ideas for what happens next, and I realized I had a writing exercise on my hands. I'm going to try it here. My plan is to write one line of a conversation – a somewhat banal one – and then see if I can come up with at least thirty different next lines.

Here's the starting line, "I really like your dress."

All these lines are different choices for what the next line might be.

"Thanks, I made it myself."
"It's a Siriano, don't you love him?"
"What, this old thing?"
"Hold on, I'll just change and give it to you."
"You should have seen the one that didn't fit."
"I wanted the original, but this knockoff isn't bad."
"Do you like the shoes?"
"You're just saying that because you want to take it off."
"I'm not sure this color really works for me."
"My mom chose it."
"I like yours, too!"
"I'm trying a new style."
"Please take my card."
"Buy me a drink?"
"It's a sample of a new line. Here's our website."
"Look at the time. I really must be going."
"It's lovely, but it will dissolve at midnight. Truly fast fashion, you know?"
"The Renaissance Fair always gives me a good chance to express myself."
"The shoes are killing me."
"It took me four hours just to close the corset."
"I did want to wear something special to our anniversary dinner."
"Only the best for you."
"Only the best for me."
"Wait until you see my jacket."
"I borrowed it from my sister. Good thing we are the same size."
"Thank you."
"Silk, it's always perfect for evenings."
"Did you know that witches prefer pockets?"
"If only I lost a few more pounds, it'd hang better."
"Ah! Only my true love sees a dress instead of these prison swabs."

That's 30!

What's cool about this is that other writers would create a different list. Some of these might be in anyone's list. Some are likely to be in very few lists, whether from the particular words I chose or the relationships and stories that come to my mind when I brainstorm like this. I like how the second speaker can have a variety of attitudes. There's a big difference between replies that accept the compliment and replies that brush it off. The speaker could be happy, or defensive, or take many other stances. In even one line, I can start to imply a world other than our own. And the next line might not really relate. People do talk past each other sometimes. For story, that seems to need more context to work.

I also like how much difference a single word can make. I find the changed slant between "Only the best for you," and "Only the best for me," tasty. What if the speaker borrowed her dress from her grandmother, roommate, or brother instead?

All in all, I like this exercise. Help yourself if you want to do it, too! What other starting line might you choose?

No comments: